Newborn Session Preparation
Newborn sessions are some of the most unpredictable photo sessions. You are at the mercy of the baby and the sooner you accept that, the better :). I plan for 2 hours for every newborn session. There are very important steps that parents can do to ensure a smooth newborn photo shoot.
To the Parents of all Newborns…Follow These Tips:
- Contact me and book a session the week after your due date. IF NOT BOOKED BEFORE BIRTH, BOOK SESSION IN THE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF BABIES BIRTH
- Stay calm…haha easier said than done right…Seriously, the baby can sense if you are uneasy or rushed and they will mimic your behavior.
- Have one other person there if daddy can’t be. Mother or Mother-in-law if your are brave:).
- Lotion baby up before session to minimize dry,flaky skin.
- Start feeding the baby 15-20 minutes before the portrait appointment is scheduled to start. That way you will be finishing up when I have all my props and backgrounds set up. Remember, stay calm. I’m not going anywhere.
- Undress baby down to diaper prior to feeding. When he falls asleep soon after or during feeding we won’t have to disturb him by undressing.
- Turn your thermostat up a couple degrees 1 hour before session. I will bring a small heater, but it never hurts to have the house a bit warmer.
- Have wipes, extra diapers, and extra receiving blankets readily available.
- Have special blankets, clothes, or toys that you want to use in the babies portraits laid out so you don’t have to search for them during the session.
- Don’t worry about anything! I have never left a newborn session without getting some great portraits!
Here are some of my favorite newborn portrait sessions from this past year.